Healthcare Accreditation Institute (Public Organization)
The Healthcare Accreditation Institute (Public Organization): HAI was initiated under Health Systems Research Institute (HSRI) as a research program “Mechanisms on Promoting Hospital Quality Improvement” in year 1997 and was set up to be an associated institute of HSRI since year 1999 with the name of “The Institute of Hospital Quality Improvement & Accreditation”. HAI operate work under the principle of “ Neutral Organization” . They are reliable, flexible, and conducted on an academic basis which consistent with the health and cultural context of the country "
HAI played a crucial role in promoting standard and quality of healthcare in Thailand for many years. Being recognized by its roles, the institute became a public organization by the Royal Decree on establishment of the Healthcare Accreditation Institute (Public Organization) since 22 June 2009. In present , there is 2nd edition of Royal Decree 2019.
(1) To assess work systems and accredit healthcare organizations. These activities include setting up standards of healthcare organizations that will be used as a framework for assessing quality improvement and accrediting healthcare organizations.
(2) To collect, study and analyze data and make recommendations which aimed to promote, support and improve quality of healthcare organizations.
(3) To promote and support the establishment of mechanisms which systematically improves quality and safety of healthcare services.
(4) To generate and disseminate knowledge and provide access to knowledge on quality assessment, quality improvement and accreditation of healthcare organizations.
(5) To collaborate with state agencies, national and international organizations, and private sector that are interested in quality assessment, quality improvement and accreditation of healthcare organizations.
(6) To formulate curricula and train healthcare personnel in order to escalate understanding on tools for quality assessment, quality improvement and accreditation of healthcare organizations.
Authorities and responsibilities
(1) to hold titles, possessory rights and property rights
(2) to create any rights or execute all kinds of juristic acts which binding its properties,including other juristic acts for the benefits of the undertaking of the Institute
(3) to borrow money for the benefits of the undertaking according to the objectives of the Institute
(4) to enter into a joint venture with other juristic persons in matters relating to the objectives of the Institute
(5) to enter into agreements and cooperate with public or private sectors, both domestic and foreign organizations, in matters relating to the objectives of the Institute
(6) to levy fees, contributions, remunerations or service charges for the undertaking of the Institute in accordance with rules and rates specified by the Board
(7) to authorize any person to carry out any act within the power and duties of the Institute
(8) to confer certificates and certified letters for activities in accordance with objectives and power and duties of the Institute
(9) to give an accreditation hallmark for healthcare organizations which have been accredited;
(10) to take any other necessary or subsequent actions to attain the objectives of the Institute. The borrowing of money under (3) and the entering into a joint venture under (4) shall be in accordance with the rules stipulated by the Council of Ministers.